Facing criminal charges can be scary, especially if you are facing imprisonment or hefty fines. If you have been accused of a crime, you need an experienced Lake Angelus criminal lawyer to defend you. We are a full-service criminal defense law firm providing legal assistance for individuals accused of crimes in Lake Angelus and the surrounding areas. Don’t delay in contacting our attorneys for any criminal charges in Michigan.
What are the consequences of a criminal conviction in Michigan?
The consequences of a criminal conviction vary depending on the crime. There are two basic categories of crimes: misdemeanors and felonies. Civil infractions can also start off feeling like crimes since they typically involve an interaction with the police, but they are civil infractions, not criminal infractions.
Felonies are severe crimes often punishable by incarceration for at least one year and substantial fines. Examples of felonies are murder, rape, arson, kidnapping, and more. There are over 1,500 felonies in Michigan, divided into several different classes:
- Class A: Punishable by up to life imprisonment
- Class B: Punishable by up to 20 years of imprisonment
- Class C: Punishable by up to 15 years of imprisonment
- Class D: Punishable by up to 10 years of imprisonment
- Class E: Punishable by up to 5 years of imprisonment
- Class F: Punishable by up to 4 years of imprisonment
- Class G: Punishable by up to 2 years of imprisonment
- Class H: Felony crimes punishable by imprisonment or alternatives such as probation, electronic monitoring at home, or treatment at a facility
Misdemeanors are less severe crimes punishable by incarceration for one year or less and fines. Examples of misdemeanor crimes are public intoxication, indecent exposure, trespassing, DUI, and more. There are three different classes of misdemeanor crimes in Michigan:
- High Court Misdemeanors: This is actually just a fancy way of saying “felony.” High court misdemeanors are punishable by up to 2 years of incarceration and/or a $2,000 fine and are considered a felony in every way but name.
- Misdemeanors Punishable by up to a One-Year Jail Term: Punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a $1,000 fine
- Misdemeanors Punishable by up to a 93-Day Jail Term: Punishable by up to 93 days in jail and/or a $500 fine
Civil infractions are minor offenses often resulting in fines and tickets. For example, parking tickets and many traffic tickets are considered civil infractions.
Besides incarceration and fines, some crimes have other consequences.
- Loss or liberties such as driving, drinking alcohol, gambling, and crossing state boundaries
- Loss of rights to wield firearms
What charges can a Lake Angelus criminal lawyer assist me with?
A criminal defense attorney can help you with many types of charges, including but not limited to:
- DUI and alcohol-related charges: Our attorneys help you fight charges for driving while intoxicated or public intoxication.
- Domestic violence: You may be charged with domestic violence charges for abuse against a spouse or a person with whom you share an intimate relationship. Our criminal defense lawyers help you fight domestic violence charges in Lake Angelus.
- Weapons crimes: Our criminal attorneys help you with felony and misdemeanor charges for weapons crimes such as carrying a firearm without a license, carrying a concealed weapon without a license, armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, and more.
- Assault and battery charges: You may be charged with assault and battery if you attempt or commit physical harm against another person.
- Theft-related crimes: A criminal lawyer in Lake Angelus can help you with theft, larceny, embezzlement, forgery, and fraud charges.
- Sex crimes: A criminal defense attorney can help you with charges for crimes such as child pornography, statutory rape, criminal sexual conduct, prostitution, the willful transmission of STDs, and more.
What else can a lake angelus criminal lawyer help me with?
Our criminal lawyers help you navigate the complex criminal appeals process in court. We review the case for errors, establish complete or partial evidence, develop a solid argument based on the law, and fight for your release from prison.
Expunging previous convictions makes it easier to secure a job or rent a home. Our criminal defense attorneys can guide you through the process of sealing criminal convictions to help you regain a normal life.
What can I do to strengthen my case?
From the moment you are arrested for a criminal charge in Lake Angelus, there are several ways you can improve the outcome of your case.
- First, exercise your right to remain silent and say as few words as possible to the arresting officers. The prosecution can use any information you provide against you.
- Avoid engaging in any illegal activity that can further aggravate your charges.
- Contact a Lake Angelus criminal lawyer as soon as possible to advocate for you from the moment you are arrested. Your attorney can review the evidence and plea deals and prepare a defense for your case. Call today to discuss your case with a free consultation.